Grant Applications from The Methodist Church of Great Britain
** The Trust are not accepting any applications
until further notice
The Joseph Rank Trust (JRT) is not: a Methodist Church institution; a Methodist only funder; nor is it part of the Connexion.
It is an independent grant-making charity which supports the Methodist Church of Great Britain
and the Methodist Church
JRT made its first grant to Methodism in 1919.
Applying for a Grant : please read carefully.
- All applications must be submitted through Synod Secretaries to ensure District approval and/or knowledge of the application.
- Individual Churches - including LEPs where the property is not vested in the Methodist Church - Circuits and Districts can apply via the above method.
- Applicants are encouraged in the first instance to view this webpage and if necessary then contact the Secretary Dr. John Higgs who will be happy to have an initial conversation about the work they are doing and offer advice on the preparation of a funding application.
- There is no application form for JRT grants. The main elements of your project should be expressed on two pages of A4 paper. Any further information, such as project budgets, Gantt charts, QS plans may be attached as appendices but the two pages of A4 are critical and must express what you are doing, why you are doing it and who it is benefiting.
- There is no maximum or minimum limits of a grant.
- JRT does not support the entire costs of a project and would expect to see contributions from the church membership and reserves, circuit model trust fund, district advance fund, connexional sources and others such as local funders and landfill grants.
- Before an application for funding is considered by the Trustees it may be visited by Dr. Higgs.
- Applications are considered by the Trust upon receipt - there are no specific deadlines for the meetings in 2017.
- The Trustees will not accept or consider applications posted directly to the Trust by individual ministers or churches.
- Full copies (not summary pages) of accounts as at 31.8.2016 will be required: copies of Church accounts, Circuit accounts and District accounts.
- Applications must include a copy of the latest District Advance Fund report to the Connexional Grants Committee as required under S.O. 963(3), and a note about the Circuit Advance Fund (model trust fund) as at 31.8.2016, showing the value of this fund and the future commitments made against it.
- Applications must be sent in hard copy and NOT by email. Please provide a postal address, email address and telephone number (this is often missing).
- Incomplete applications, i.e. those that ignore the requirements as stated on this page will not be considered and will be returned to the District concerned.
- Please note there is no typical grant awarded; each application is considered on its own merits.
- The Trust is not a repeat or ongoing funder at the end of the funding term.
- If any of the above is not clear please contact the Secretary.
What The Joseph Rank Trust supports
JRT has a fund which is used to support Methodism. In 2016 the Trust committed £654,050 to The Methodist Church of Great Britain, and £219,000 to the Methodist Church in Ireland.
We are interested in funding:
- Property Schemes which provide improved facilities both for the church itself and the local community;
- Family workers at Church, Circuit or District Level;
- Youth workers at Church, Circuit or District Level;
- Other areas of local Home Mission work. This will follow the JRT’s interpretation of what Home Mission is, which can be expressed as supporting the Church’s role within the community.
Grants are available to support ongoing Church work. However JRT offers only time limited grants and will not consider an application to support work to which it has previously awarded a grant.
JRT will not fund completed projects or delayed church maintenance.
For the avoidance of doubt, the Trust is an independent grant-making charity and is not part of the Connexion.
(page updated 13th June 2017)
click here to return to applying for grants